Katowice in between

An exploration
Address
Am Weissenhof 30, 70191 Stuttgart Map
Hours
Tue–Fri 2–6 pm, Sat+Sun 12 am–6 pm

The Upper Silesian industrial town of Kattowit has belonged to Poland since 1922 as a result of the Treaty of Versailles, a referendum and the division of Upper Silesia. The Polish part subsequently experienced intensive urbanization and industrialization, especially until 1939. A center of Polish modernism emerged in Katowice in the 1930s and 1930s as a demonstrative national project with a wide range of residential, administrative and cultural buildings that continue to shape the city today.

Particularly in the urban expansion areas south of the railway line along the Tadeusƶa Kościusƶki promenade leading south, modernist evidence from this period can be found in a very small space, which can claim international status as an ensemble. The exhibition gives an impression and overview of these exceptionally well-preserved modernist buildings and their architects and shows photographs by Benedikt Hotƶe that were taken during a trip in 2009.

Opening: 28.02.2024, 7 p.m.
Speaker: Dr. Rysƶard Nakoniecƶny (Slesian Technical University Gliw)