Dům umění - House of Art Ostrava
The Gallery of Fine Arts in Ostrava was founded in 1952 as the Regional Gallery. It has always been based in Ostrava’s House of Arts – a 1926 building that ranks among the region’s most outstanding examples of early 20th century architecture. Although the entire House of Arts is used as an exhibition space, the gallery’s collection has now outgrown the building, and it is no longer possible to exhibit a full range of works from our collection. The gallery is therefore planning an extension to the site, to be known as the ‘White Shadow’. The new building will be located directly next to the original House of Arts, which will become the gateway to a large multicultural complex. Around 100,000 visitors attend the gallery’s exhibitions, accompanying programs and various creative events every year – including visitors not only from the Czech Republic, but also from abroad.