Nordico Stadtmuseum Linz

Dametzstraße 23, 04020 Linz Map
Tue – Sun 10 – 6 pm Thu 10 – 8 pm

The Stadtmuseum Linz, opened in 1973, has a special place in the Upper Austrian museum scene: it contains a rich collection of art, photography, archaeological findings and folklore artefacts. The museum is located in the town hall quarter on Dametzstraße, named after mayor Josef Dametz.

It was designed in 1610 by the Italian architect Francesco Silva as a suburban manor for the Kremsmünster Abbey. The name Nordico originates from when the Jesuits ran the house as Collegium Nordicum for pupils from Scandinavia. The boarding school was closed by Josef II. In 1911 the city of Linz acquired the building, which was repeatedly used as a living residence.

The Nordico City Museum – a networked, lively place of storytelling and innovative museum work is also a place of learning and education and stands for Linz’s identity in the context of the city’s history. Continuously produced filmic portraits of contemporaries, a book edition and art and cultural education are essential components of the exhibitions.

What kinds of items do people stockpile and in what societal context? Linz’s universal collector Hofrat Anton Maximilian Pachinger’s material database is to be viewed in the context of going from collecting mere necesseties to anything collectible. This collection laid the foundations of the City Museum. Forty-five years ago, it found a wonderful home here in the Nordico.

In the exhibition 100% LINZ. Kaleidoscope of a City, we present a cross-section of the collection covering the relations between everyday life, art and the history of the city.